Who we are

We are the developers of Plastic SCM, a full version control stack (not a Git variant). We work on the strongest branching and merging you can find, and a core that doesn't cringe with huge binaries and repos. We also develop the GUIs, mergetools and everything needed to give you the full version control stack.

If you want to give it a try, download it from here.

We also code SemanticMerge, and the gmaster Git client.

New tree 3D layout

Sunday, August 26, 2007 Pablo Santos , 1 Comments

The team have been working on the new layout algorithm for the plastic 3D tree. With long revision histories the tree currently has a cone-like behaviour, so it gets wider close to the end, which makes it more difficult to understand.
So they changed the algorithm to use some sort of espiral layout: branches are distributed spacially following an spiral-like path, which is restarted from the center of the tree on each loop to save space.
Daniel also asked to add (finally, because it is a long awaited feature) revision and branch location functionality. Date filtering has also been implemented: now you can select a date range and only the revisions in between will be created.
The new tree 3D will be integrated in BL067 and will be released together with plastic 2.0. I guess the GUI folks at Codice will first clean up the looks a little bit :-) but the new utilities will be there. Watch a preview at Codice's YouTube channel:

P.S: last friday one of the GUI 2.0 preview screencasts reached the list of the most viewed YouTube videos in Spain... among a huge amount of fútbol (soccer) material... :-)
Pablo Santos
I'm the CTO and Founder at Códice.
I've been leading Plastic SCM since 2005. My passion is helping teams work better through version control.
I had the opportunity to see teams from many different industries at work while I helped them improving their version control practices.
I really enjoy teaching (I've been a University professor for 6+ years) and sharing my experience in talks and articles.
And I love simple code. You can reach me at @psluaces.

1 comment:

  1. he new layout reminds me an RNA chain (a tagline for 2.0 might be "software evolution" or "genetic versioning" :-P)

    I've thought that making the zooming/panning speed distance-dependant would help navigating the tree (the further the camera is, the faster it moves).

    ReplyDelete