Who we are

We are the developers of Plastic SCM, a full version control stack (not a Git variant). We work on the strongest branching and merging you can find, and a core that doesn't cringe with huge binaries and repos. We also develop the GUIs, mergetools and everything needed to give you the full version control stack.

If you want to give it a try, download it from here.

We also code SemanticMerge, and the gmaster Git client.

Plastic SCM GUI testing

Thursday, May 10, 2007 Pablo Santos , 0 Comments

Last week I wrote about the three basic layers of testing we run here at Codice to check Plastic SCM functionality release after release.
Each weekly release (or almost weekly depending on the specific workload) passes through long hours of automated GUI testing. As I mentioned we are currently using AutomatedQA TestComplete which is a pretty good tool specially considering the price/quality relationship.
We also run the GUI tests each time a task is finished (and its associated branch is closed), so at the end much testing hours are run.
The following screencast is just a short fragment of a test run, and shows the Plastic GUI under heavy user testing.

Nowadays several tools are available to run those kind of tests on Windows based systems, but there is a huge lack of tools for the Linux world. The good thing with TestComplete is that it is good enough (and getting better release after release, indeed our team is busy today migrating to the last 5 release, and it seems distributed testing runs better now).
The one I know for the Linux world is: http://www.redstonesoftware.com/technology/userPerspective.html, but I never had the chance to try it.
There are other options like http://www.redhat.com/magazine/020jun06/features/dogtail, http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/test/documents/userguides/Intro-Auto-GUI.html or http://www.instantiations.com/index.html.

Happy testing!
Pablo Santos
I'm the CTO and Founder at Códice.
I've been leading Plastic SCM since 2005. My passion is helping teams work better through version control.
I had the opportunity to see teams from many different industries at work while I helped them improving their version control practices.
I really enjoy teaching (I've been a University professor for 6+ years) and sharing my experience in talks and articles.
And I love simple code. You can reach me at @psluaces.

0 comentarios: